Job Title: Legal Clinic Coordinator
Location: Chicago, IL
Centro de Trabajadores Unidos: Immigrant Workers’ Project (CTU-IWP), a grassroots worker center on the southeast side of Chicago and south suburbs, was founded in 2008 after a group of immigrant workers organized against unfair labor practices of a potato chip company in the community. CTU-IWP educates immigrant workers on their employment and citizenship rights, builds campaigns to combat wage theft and other unfair labor practices, builds alliances with good employers that uphold fair labor standards, and works at the local and regional level to advocate for changes in policy to ensure all workers receive equitable pay and are treated fairly in the workplace.
The Legal Clinic Coordinator is responsible for administrative operations of the Centro de Trabajadores & Community Activism Law Alliance (CALA) Free Legal Clinic and the CTU Office Hours. The Legal Clinic provides free legal services regarding immigration, employment, housing, and expungement for members of Centro de Trabajadores Unidos. The Legal Clinic Coordinator is responsible for scheduling intakes, communicating with CALA attorneys, and providing member orientation trainings.
Reports to: Associate Director
- Perform administrativetasks to effectively conduct the Free Legal Clinic every Thursday from 3pm – 8pm including but not limited to: scheduling intake appointments, making confirmation calls, and setting up space and equipment;
- Attend and support each Legal Clinic by:
- Directing potential clients to complete sign-in sheets and release forms
- Assisting with creating a confidential and respectful environment for clients
- Assisting with administrative tasks including scanning and copying documents
- Providing translation support as necessary;
- Communicate with CALA on a weekly basis to effectively coordinate legal clinic and build a strong partnership;
- Attend CTU Office Hours every Tuesday from 11:30am—7:00pm, to provide guidance to community members regarding CTU, legal clinic process, campaigns, or any other related question by: filling out intake forms, making follow-up calls, and flagging urgent cases to all staff;
- Answer CTU official phone and texts on a daily basis;
- Work with Organizing Team to coordinate and facilitate bilingual biweekly membership orientations to educate community residents and members about their labor, immigration, and other related rights;
- Work closely with Labor Organizer to identify cases of unjust labor practices;
- Build and expand services referral list;
- Develop and maintain relationships with associated network of attorneys;
- Attend trainings as needed to further understand labor and immigrant rights;
- Present summary of intake meetings during weekly staff meetings
- Maintain and update intake, membership, legal cases, and presentation databases;
- Write weekly and monthly work plans and reports;
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Demonstrated commitment to racial, social, and economic justice;
- Demonstrated understanding of labor and immigrant rights preferred;
- Computer proficiency and strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, and problem solving skills;
- Must be a team player and self-driven;
- Fluent in English and Spanish and/or any other language;
- Ability to work long and irregular hours and weekends as required;
- Must have access to a personal vehicle on a daily basis to drive to meetings.
- Until Filled.
- Must begin January 23, 2017
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, résumé, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Legal Clinic Coordinator Application.”
CENTRO DE TRABAJADORES UNIDOS-IMMIGRANT WORKERS’ PROJECT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IMMIGRANTS, WOMEN, PEOPLE OF COLOR, PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES, AND PERSONS WITH DIVERSE GENDER AND SEXUAL IDENTITIES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.